Monday, March 2, 2015

Trail Blog Final Reflection - Ahny


a) What was your impression of Singapore history and cultural heritage before going on the trail?
b) How has your experience of the trail changed your perception of Singapore history and her cultural heritage? 
c) Share some insights (if any) about Singapore's past and the wayis is represented (symbolically and physically) that you have gained from the trail. 

In this post,  I would like to share my reflections and summarize my learning points that I had gathered after this meaningful trail. This trail is very enriching for me as it has created an awareness of the importance of looking into our past that I had overlooked. Guess what? After this trail, I realised that looking into our past can be very exciting and interesting too. So, whenever I go out, I actually do look out for any markers or any heritage notices. Recently, I went to the Asian Civilisation Museum and realised that around the museum, there are statues of different leaders such as Ho Chi Minh.

Before I begin, I would like to extend my salute to our heroes, regardless of the age, religion or race, for all the sacrifices such as their lives for what we own and enjoy now - freedom and peace. Honestly, I really enjoyed the memories I had created from this trail with my group mates as it was my first time visiting to all of the sites. I find that it is quite sad to only realize of the existence of these sites. However, at least I have now stepped into these sites and developed my own interpretations of the Japanese Invasion. I find that it is pretty amazing to find out more about the events that took place from 8 to 15 February 1942 through the galleries and markers that informed me of the interpretations. 

My understanding shaped further upon seeing the rationale for the attacks at the sites. An example, for the Battle of Pasir Panjang, after physically visited the site and looking at the geographical features, I now know that the Japanese made use and took the opportunity to invade the hill in order to have a good view of the country and preparing to move downwards into our homeland.


I feel that the markers are good signs to reconcile the emotions of those who are directly affected by the events that had taken place during the invasion. It is good to see that the markers elaborated more about the sacrifices of the heroes who defended the area and the events occurred. Guess what, initially, I was not aware of the existence of these markers. After all, I have not visited these places as they are out of the way for me as I am living in the eastern part of Singapore. The only WW2 sites that I recalled visiting was the Changi Chapel when I was in secondary level.

During the trail, I tried to make connections of the displayed interpretations that are depicted in the markers and galleries with the recollections that are retold by my grandmother while exploring her experiences for my AAH102 Biography and History assignment. When making relationship and linking to my prior knowledge that I had gathered during my school days, honestly, I am puzzled and could not help but to question the selection of historical interpretations indicated in the Social Studies textbook. As I have no prior experience in teaching Social Studies in schools or bring my students to learning journeys or excursions, these sites are really new for me. Should I have to conduct lessons on Japanese Invasion of Singapore, I would definitely share some of my thoughts, feelings and knowledge on these. 

Now that I had visited these sites, I learnt that though the events had taken place more than few decades ago, as a Singaporean, I should not taken our independence and freedom for granted. Indeed, true, I could never fully understand the feelings of our veterans, but I do really appreciate all the efforts and sacrifices made. For if not for them, things would had turned out differently, and that no one will defend our homeland. 

I remembered my 84-year old grandmother told me recently that she has forgiven the Japanese who did brutal and harsh actions towards our people. Despite the traumatic events, she had forgiven them as it was all in the past. What really makes me think and reflect is when she mentioned that she will never forget the tragic memories and sufferings - especially that she had lost her beloved grandfather in a bomb attack.

One of the most memorable sites for me is the Ford Factory. Honestly, I do not mind to visit the place again, and in fact, would bring my family along. It is definitely a recommended place to go. I would like to show you some of the wonderful items that I captured that left an impression to me.


Terrifying Last Days: Fall of the Impregnable Fortress. It was the beginning of the hardships and sufferings of our people under the Japanese between 1942 to 1945.



The Japanese government issued dollar, banana notes, were used during the war.

Medals and campaign stars awarded in recognition of service during the war and the Wong Yew Fook Collection.


I remembered that my grandmother told me as a student, other than cheering 'Banzai' when asked to, singing Japanese national anthem and bowing in the direction of Japan, she had to learn Japanese language. Upon seeing this, I could not help but to feel the pressure and see the force implemented by the Japanese. The instruction mentioned that they had updated and provided the knowledge of the writing 'Katakana'. It also states that the Japanese hope that students will learn the words diligently and study them meticulously. After seeing this, I can understand what my grandmother means by forced to learn the language.


This painting made me feel grateful that the Japanese no longer held the power to control our homeland, after the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.


Being a visual learner, I appreciate arts. To me, upon seeing this, I feel that despite the events had already happened, one could never forget the traumatic events as the scars are left deeply in their hearts and minds. After all, who could right?


Finally, freedom!


Peace at last!

In a nutshell, this trail could be considered an emotional experience for me in recollecting the memories of our heroes and events that had taken place. Indeed, it is one learning experience that will stay for a long time in my mind and heart. Through the trail, I have a deeper understanding of what our parents and grandparents had went through, for the aim of freedom, for the next generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment